Search
  • Brooke Ruhl

Human Trafficking Q&A: College Students

While there are many resources to learn about human trafficking, including some of my own posts, many people are still unaware of the risks, threats, and facts regarding modern slavery. I decided to test this theory and ask some college-aged students to ask me questions about different things they don't understand or know about human trafficking.




Where is human trafficking most common?

Mackenzie Gray, 20, Nevada


Human Trafficking can happen anywhere, it is a global issue. Last year alone, Polaris reported that all 50 U.S. states reported cases of human trafficking. The top three states with the most human trafficking cases are California, Texas and Florida. Globally, the three countries with the highest amount of human trafficking cases are Russia, China and Iran.


What types of industries benefit from human trafficking?

Sydney Slater, 22, Indiana


Human Trafficking is a very widespread issue. The two main industries that benefit from human trafficking are the sex industry and labor industry. Forced labor makes up a big portion of global modern slavery. Trafficked victims can be forced to work in agriculture, manufacturing, mining, construction or domestic slavery. Sex trafficking is another huge aspect, from prostitution to porn.


Are men ever victims of sex trafficking?

Emily Robinson, 25, Nevada


Yes. While women and girls make up close to 70% of all victims trafficked for sex, men and boys still make up the other 30%. But, generally, men are trafficked more frequently for forced labor than sex.


With quarantine, are trafficking numbers going to go down?

Sarah Jayne Johnson, 23, California


Unfortunately, human trafficking professionals believe these numbers may actually go up. In a past blog post, I researched and explained how companies like Pornhub have a negative impact on human trafficking With increased demand for porn in these quarantine times, there could be a surge in human trafficking.


Please tweet me, comment below, or email me anymore questions you might have about human trafficking.


Tweet me! @Brooke_Ruhl and use the hashtag #BRuhly_Trafficked


Trafficked.

Brooke Ruhl


0 views
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • LinkedIn

Trafficked.

Brooke Ruhl

University of Nevada Reno

brooke@brookeruhl.com

2020 by Brooke Ruhl.